Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Facebook Facepalm: I'm going to go cry into my huge pillow now

Update: Spammers have now jumped in, so it's gone from funny hoax to actual scam: WARNING: Don’t Click On ‘Facebook Will Shut Down’

The other night, I came across a link claiming that Facebook is closing down on March 15. Since it was in the Weekly World News, and since I'm such a big fan of So I Married An Axe Murderer, I couldn't resist posting the link along with a reference to the Weekly World News Garth Brooks Juice Diet.

If you're not familiar with the movie, here's a clip. The relevant bits are at 2:00 min. for the juice diet reference and at about 3:25 min. for the discussion of "The Paper."


My brother was the only one to reply to my Facebook post and he obviously got the joke. However, Tuesday I was horrified to hear on Net@Night (the link may not work until the episode is posted) that many people thought the story was true!

Huh? Who were these people? Maybe Charlie Mackenzie's parents aren't so unusual. Since I didn't see any of my friends post this on Facebook, I hope I can rest assured that they're all smarter than the average user. (Good for you, friends!)

However, if you know any of those gullible people, you can point them to this informative video which may make them feel a little better:


(via cnet)

No comments:

Post a Comment