Monday, May 24, 2010

This is not your daughter's technology


On the flip side of "rewinding" a DVD, this strip reminds me of my daughter's recent experience with the VCR. I hadn't realized just how long it had been since we'd had one hooked up (probably since before we moved into our house 4+ years ago, and maybe before the apartment before that, so she probably hasn't seen a VCR since she was 4). We were cleaning out boxes one day and she found the videotapes. She wanted to watch some of them, so I hooked up the VCR and left her to it.

After a few minutes, she called me back in.

"It just keeps playing the credits. How do I bring up the menu?"

"There isn't a menu. You need to rewind it."

She looked at me like I'd just told her to walk to the moon. "Re...wind?"

I showed her how to rewind it and told her she'd have to wait a couple minutes for it to get back to the beginning.

Soon, she called me back again. "It won't stop playing the previews. You're sure there isn't a menu?"

"Yes. You just need to fast-forward through the previews."

She raised an eyebrow at this, but turned back to the screen to give it a go.

A few minutes later, she called me back again. "How do I turn on the subtitles?" (We're very big on subtitles in our house, but that's a post for another day.)

"There aren't any subtitles, honey."

She sighed. "Maybe I'll just watch a DVD."

I can just see how it will go when she encounters the Edison Player at her grandparents' house....


(Do you read Unshelved? If you like libraries AT ALL, you should!)

No comments:

Post a Comment