Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday Fun: Do You Wanna Date My Avatar?

Saturday is National Gaming Day! Libraries across the United States will celebrate with programs which cover board games like Candy Land to MMORPGs like World of Warcraft. I'll likely mark the day with some Tetris time and watch hubby play Fable II.

Hubby and I recently started watching The Guild, which, ironically, we watch through our Xbox (or maybe that's not so ironic, really). The series follows a group of gamers and the challenges they face meshing "real" life with their "life" in a MMORPG. If you're curious, here's the original episode (yes, that's the entire episode. They're short.)

The Guild released a music video, too. The song is one of my current favorites (running through my head 24/7 lately) and now I'm passing the earworm on to you:




Just a bit of an aside here: I know some of you probably think there is nothing one can learn from a video game to use in life. I disagree. I can always tell which baggers at the grocery store play Tetris, and those who don't. Seriously. :)

Unfortunately, I have to be a bit of a teetotaler when it comes to role-playing games. I know me, and I know if I even touch WoW, Fable, or even The Sims, soon people will wonder if I died, was kidnapped, or simply fell off the face of the earth, because I would never been seen again (think of Codex in the episode above). If you want a further illustration of what would happen, listen to Felicia Day talk about her experience with WoW in this interview (at about the 1:30 mark) - I love her comment "After about two hours of that, I mean, two years..." Yep, that'd be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment