A few weeks ago, Entertainment Weekly listed the 20 Greatest Vampires of All Time. I disagreed with at least half of the list - after all, if I've never heard of them, how great can they be? And Edward Cullen? Don't get me started...
In response to EW's list, here are my top 10 (or so) most interesting vampires, in no particular order:
- Dracula - has to be near the top of everyone's list. In my mind, Dracula will always be Frank Langella's version. I remember sneakily watching this late at night when I was really too little to be seeing such things. So now you know where it all started... I liked Gary Oldman as Dracula, too, but nobody holds a candle to Langella for me. I remember this scene in particular:
- Lestat -I like him much more in the books than the movies, and I like Stuart Towsend's version in Queen of the Damned better than Tom Cruise's in Interview with the Vampire (although if you want to know how I really imagained Lestat - despite the description of him as blonde - watch Farinelli)
- Eric Northman from "True Blood" - He's new to my list, but ooooh, la la! (I hope you won't beat me up if I admit Bill Compton just doesn't do it for me)
- Selene from Underworld -She's a kick-ass heroine first, vampire second. Bella could certainly learn a thing or two from her.
see more Lol Celebs
- David from Lost Boys- My first bad-boy hot vampire (Michael doesn't make the list on a technicality - he was never a full vampire)
- Claudia from Interview With The Vampire - Forever a child in body, but not in mind, and that makes her very interesting
- Jessica on "True Blood" - From an ultra-restritive environment to vampire - she went through a total "no rules" phase and then has done a lot of growing up very quickly.
- Spike from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"- yummy! Bad boy with sensitive interior (and a really bad poet!)
- Harmony from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" - went from whiny spoiled human to whiny spoiled vampire and was a hoot to watch
- "Naughty Willow" - Willow wasn't usually a vampire, but in the "Buffy" episode "Doppelgangland," a vampire version of Willow from an alternate reality comes to Sunnydale.
- Godric - I wish he'd had a longer story arc on "True Blood." I want to know more about his backstory. I haven't read the books yet - is there more on him in there?
- Angel - Yummy. 'nuff said
- Drusilla from "Buffy" and "Angel"- A good girl gone mad
So, who are your top vampires? Have I forgotten anyone I should have included?