Monday, August 24, 2009

Musicals I like (a very short list)

I'm not a big fan of musicals. This seems strange to me. Something tells me I should like them, but I don't. In fact, I think I'd usually rather clean toilets than see a muscial.

Oddly, I often enjoy the music from musicals, just not in the musicals. I used to own albums of Andrew Lloyd Webber's music and I still know the lyrics by heart, but I have trouble actually sitting through a performace of Cats or Phantom of the Opera (even with Gerard Butler in it), no matter how much I love the songs.

Here is the short list of musicals I actually enjoy watching (and will even watch over and over)
  • The Sound of Music - This has always been and will always be one of my favorite movies. Period. I used to drop everything to watch this when it came on about once a year. Mary Poppins was always "that movie with Maria Von Trapp in it." :)
  • Moulin Rouge - I didn't really expect to like this, but I did. It's made up of all those songs everybody belts out in the car when they're driving alone.
  • Mamma Mia - I like this one for pretty much the same reasons I like Moulin Rouge. Plus it's just a fun movie - one that you can turn on while you're cleaning the house or something and it'll keep you moving.
  • Labyrinth - It never occurred to me that this is a musical until recently when someone else referred to it that way, and I still don't really think of it as one. It's a movie. There's singing. There's dancing. Nope, not a musical. ;)
Okay, you can start throwing the tomatoes...and if you have any suggestions of musicals I might like if I just tried them, tell me in the comments - I promise to give them a shot. And if any happen to make the list, I'll let you know.

4 comments:

  1. I love musicals and--unfortunately for some-like quoting lines from those movies. So, I won't bore you with a list other than to say pretty much anything with Gene Kelly. If nothing else, take a gander at those man thighs. So classics.

    But, like you, I like the off-beat as well. Hairspray--both versions. Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now we're talkin' real classics.

    And I'm one of the rare folks who liked Mama Mia. Maybe because the ex was sooooo into ABBA the music is ingraved in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *GASP!* I forgot all about Rocky Horror! (Mom-in-law will disown me). And I did enjoy Hairspray. Okay, so the list is a little longer now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked seeing Mama Mia live, not so much the movie. And I loathe, loathe, loathe the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Loathe that movie. I would rather clean public restrooms than watch RHPS.

    Also, I have a crush on Captain Von Trapp. It's that whistle! So hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU DON'T LIKE ROCKY HORROR??? I think I have to go lie down now...

    :P

    ReplyDelete